Pensacola Linux User's Group
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2011, 02:13:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Happy New Year!
15812 Posts in 3083 Topics by 139 Members
Latest Member: speakatself
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pensacola Linux User's Group
|-+  Misc
| |-+  IT Jobs
| | |-+  Advice for the Future
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Advice for the Future  (Read 2317 times)
rugmonster
Old Hand

Approval: 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 04, 2003, 06:13:16 pm »

I have another 4 years and 10 months left on my enlistment in the world's greatest Air Force (*chuckle chuckle*) and I have no intensions of staying in past that mark. I want to stay an admin when I get out, but I'm scared that I will get stuck doing MS server admin. Before I came in, I got two years experience administering a small ISP's linux boxes and now I get to administer BSDi based firewalls in my current job. However, much of my job outside of those firewalls is administering a majority of MS NT and 2000 servers.

What do I need to do to prepare myself for a civilian job and one that isn't MS server focused? I try to do as much as I can at home, but I know much of that experience doesn't count since it is play at home. I also can't simulate the live environment of production servers without paying major cash for multiple systems and equipment. When I go to look for a job, do I look for the assistant admin positions or go for whatever I can get, even if it means admining a bunch of MS boxes? Do I go ahead and look into getting some linux certifications such as the LPI and Comptia's Linux+?

I have a lot of time to worry...I mean think about this, but I just don't want to get stuck in the AF because I had no plans or way to make a living. I love my job, but I don't like the rest of the crap that goes with military life.

--
Daniel
steve
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2003, 08:07:37 pm »

Certification, Certifications, Certifications. Oh, and a Computer Science degree doesn't hurt. You can get Linux certifications as well as Unix certifications. I believe that the security certificatiosn are going to be the big ones in the future, though....

Steve
bhoff
Old Hand

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2003, 11:20:08 am »

YEP! Degrees prefer B.S , and Certification Networking and Security are the big ones. by the way I use to work for DANTES and am aware of several diffrent schoools offered to enlisted personnel thru the Distance learning Program. Check with your command for whats available
Brett

Brett Hoff
Linux +, Security+, RHCT, GIAC GCFA
Senior IT Security Engineer Antler,Inc.
rugmonster
Old Hand

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2003, 11:52:27 am »

I have to complete my Career Developement Courses as part of my job, but once I'm done with that, I am planning on starting on college. My previous transcripts are absolute crap, so I am planning on starting fresh. I am looking at UMUC which is a part of the University of Maryland. They offer a B.S. in Computer Information and Science which sounds pretty much like your typical CIS. Here is an overview of the program. I have asked Randall about this, but you know those darned CS majors always think CS is the way to go. I have passed up my opportunity for a traditional college education unless I want to be in school for 8 years, unless I find a sweet, rich lady who is willing to put me through school and support me once I get out.

Also, I have thought about getting the LPI level 1 and also working on the Cisco track of certs. The LPI's are pretty inexpensive, but I don't want to get them too early and have to recert before I get out. I also thought about continuing my Comptia track and fill out with Net+ and Linux+ since I've already got the A+. I also thought about picking up a Sparc and playing around with it and look into what Sun has to offer. What are some other good certs to look at? I will be depending on those and my 8 years experience when I get out since I probably won't have my BS done. Opinions?

--
Daniel
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: