Pensacola Linux User's Group
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2011, 02:13:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Happy New Year!
15812 Posts in 3083 Topics by 139 Members
Latest Member: speakatself
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pensacola Linux User's Group
|-+  Misc
| |-+  Newbie Corner
| | |-+  Ubunutu 10.10 seems slow
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ubunutu 10.10 seems slow  (Read 660 times)
snakevudo

Approval: 0

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2010, 07:52:17 pm »

As much as I hate to complain....I don't know what else to do.  I have been playing around with the Ubunutu 10.10 distribution and it has me pretty frustrated.  I can't describe it in any way other than sluggish.  I am running it on a fairly mature machine with a meager gig of memory but I had higher hopes.  WinXP ran fine on the same box so I don't know what I am doing wrong.  I had some trouble making the dual monitors work with the NVIDIA graphics card I am using but did manage to sort that out.  I don't know if my expectations are too high or if I am doing something wrong (I lean toward the latter).

Not sure who made the motherboard but it has a Intel Celeron 2.4g processor with a gig of memory.  Video card is a GeForce FX5200.

Not sure if that helps knowing that or not, I offer it for filler.  This is my first full commitment to a Linux box and I wish I could say it's been all pleasant. 

Any suggestions other than tossing this very old machine out?
Yossarian
Executives
Master

Approval: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 03:51:11 pm »

You actually have better specs than my laptop.  Have you tried turning off compiz desktop effects?  If anything you could just go back to 10.04 LTS.
dpeach
Global Moderator
Old Hand

Approval: 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 08:20:52 am »

I have read that the 10.10 did not add significant features to what was already in 10.04. 10.04 will be rock solid. If there are any programmatic problems that are causing your issue, I would guess 10.04 will have the same problems. If it is a hardware incompatibility then the 10.04 may not help.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: