Pensacola Linux User's Group
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2011, 02:12:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Happy New Year!
15812 Posts in 3083 Topics by 139 Members
Latest Member: speakatself
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pensacola Linux User's Group
|-+  Club Stuff
| |-+  Introductions
| | |-+  Anyone in Niceville?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Anyone in Niceville?  (Read 1536 times)
AndrewP79

Approval: 0

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2010, 05:02:10 pm »

Hi Ya'll,
 Just signed up here. Saw there was an intro place, so I thought I would say hi.
I have been using Linux for a couple of years now. I was never a computer user before, but upon Vista coming out and constantly crashing on the new laptop I had bought, I found Ubuntu. I have tried several others, and generally have settled on Linux Mint. Currently I am testing Lucid Lynx on one box, and using Mint 8 Helena as my everyday. I never really used a computer much before Linux, so I have lots still to learn.

Currently, I am attempting to learn more about this stuff, and have got to the point with adding programs that I want to build a distro, but need to meet up with someone who can help me put my little vision together. I have wallpapers, GTK Themes, tweaks and other add-ons that I want to put in a nice clean package. I would like to meet someone who can help do artwork, debugging of conflicts between programs, and help put together something to make a bootable CD. I am to the point, where I am tired of putting everything back together every time I reboot.

If anyone is interested in putting something together with me, give me a shout. I am looking to make a complete out of the box experience. I want codecs, useful programs, beauty, cutting edge and usability. I have something right now that is a cross between the smooth edges in Windows and the practicality of Mac, with a distinctive Linux feel. I want something that I can set on a laptop or desktop, and your grandmother could learn to use with out asking questions on where thing are. Something that could be OEM. Something that is easy to work with and customize.

Hope everyone is staying warm during this cold snap, and I look forward to talking with everyone.

Cheers
bhoff
Old Hand

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 08:16:07 pm »

Wow nice Ambition, But there is probably all ready a distro out there that has what you are asking for. But if you are still looking for the learning experience I would suggest that you pick up a hacking knoppix book.
It goes into great detail about rolling your own distro. Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Brett Hoff
Linux +, Security+, RHCT, GIAC GCFA
Senior IT Security Engineer Antler,Inc.
AndrewP79

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 08:28:31 pm »

Thanks Brett. Yea, I have been tweaking and tweaking trying to make my laptop as user friendly as possible. I am by no means technically minded. But I think I can contribute something as a typical end user. I ant the most out of my expensive hardware as anyone else. I would like to think of myself as more of an artist in the regard. I want something that people can look at and say, okay, I can use this.

I really need someone to help me keep my focus though, and put it all together. I would rather be the crazy marketing guy, instead of the mad scientist. I'd rather just convince everyone to try something new.

I am stuck in Niceville for the moment, going to school, but should have some free time in February if anyone wants to get together for pizza or whataburger. 
Yossarian
Executives
Master

Approval: 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 11:14:53 pm »

Hi there and welcome to the LUG Andrew.

Making your own linux distro is quite the project.  The closest I've personally gotten is customizing Slax.

Our next meeting will be next week and we hope you can make it.  If not, I'm sure some of us would like to meet up for pizza with a new member (see the Ugly Sweaters thread for more info).
AndrewP79

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 11:21:27 am »

Yossarian,
 I would like to be at the meeting, but unfortunately, I have just started school again after traveling for ten years and with a Tuesday- Saturday 0630-1700 class schedule, I am beat. I don't think I can make it during quitting time to P-cola from Niceville anyways that quick. Maybe a impromptu on a weekend sometime, with regular sweaters?

Yea, I am not really expecting to build a whole distro from scratch. I want to take Linux mint, strip it down of artwork, and non-end user programs, leave the codecs, and build it the way the average non-computer user showing up at Best Buy would use a computer. The bare basics. But modern looking. This is mostly about aesthetics for me personally. So far, I am thinking Songbird, Picasa, Google Earth/ Maps, Firefox, Thunderbird, Open Office Suite, AWN .o4 running, Screenlets running, Globalmenu, GnomeMenu, Gnome Do(without docky), Alltray, Shutter...etc...etc... plus the PPA's for these individual projects. Maybe a tutorial video in it to introduce people to their new desktop enviroment, explained in a way that makes sense. I have found that so many of the distros just expect you to know what your looking for or figure it out. I always thought a nice video showing all the compiz effects and items that are there in more of a tutorial kind of way would be nice. I was so overwhelmed by everything out here a few years ago when I started, so it is still fresh in my mind the problems that I had.
gnewbe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 06:22:17 am »

Maybe give  the newest CrunchBang! a spin, it is now a Debian project and is sooper dooper on laptops and such.
dpeach
Global Moderator
Old Hand

Approval: 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 08:51:50 am »

Does anyone know if the FWB LUG is still active? There was one a few years ago. They may be closer so that you can make it to a meeting with them. But if you do join up with them, don't leave our forum. smiley

Welcome to the group.

mall0ry
Talker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 12:05:05 pm »

Hi,

I live in Destin and work in Niceville. Let me know if you need help.

Does anyone know if the FWB LUG is still active?

It is gone.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: