Pensacola Linux User's Group
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2011, 02:13:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Happy New Year!
15812 Posts in 3083 Topics by 139 Members
Latest Member: speakatself
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pensacola Linux User's Group
|-+  Hardware
| |-+  Network
| | |-+  counter-hacking
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: counter-hacking  (Read 7603 times)
bhoff
Old Hand

Approval: 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 03:28:09 pm »

Wow can I say it again cyber warfare is in full swing. everybody is talking about it even the new cyber czar.
This is what I have been talking about just check out your favorite news site they are up in arms over north Korea and many others selling there weapons of war to the highest bidder.

Personally I am getting 2 15/3 connections to the house to handle some of the potential problems.
I am looking more and more into not calling it ECM electronic counter measures but rather beefed up Active IDS.

But there is a need if you want to know what field to focus on for the big bucks look at counter intel and hacking as the needed tools for the future it field.

Anyway enough of my rant for one day...

Brett Hoff
Linux +, Security+, RHCT, GIAC GCFA
Senior IT Security Engineer Antler,Inc.
danc
Old Hand

Approval: 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 09:59:30 pm »

Wow can I say it again cyber warfare is in full swing. everybody is talking about it even the new cyber czar.
This is what I have been talking about just check out your favorite news site they are up in arms over north Korea and many others selling there weapons of war to the highest bidder.

Well, I've checked out several news sites, and see no mention of this subject, whatsoever.  What exactly are you talking about?

Personally I am getting 2 15/3 connections to the house to handle some of the potential problems.
I am looking more and more into not calling it ECM electronic counter measures but rather beefed up Active IDS.

Huh?

But there is a need if you want to know what field to focus on for the big bucks look at counter intel and hacking as the needed tools for the future it field.

Huh?

Anyway enough of my rant for one day...

Yes, that I can agree with.

bhoff
Old Hand

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 07:24:10 am »

well for the less educated here we go.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aZ6H_MVItRt4
http://www.fiercegovernmentit.com/story/holiday-cyberattacks-hit-u-s-government-sites/2009-07-08
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/Suspicion-Centers-on-N-Korea-in-DoS-Blitz-but-No-Smoking-Gun-67539.html?wlc=1247318292
http://www.securityfocus.com/news/9649
http://www.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUSTRE56709E20090708
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/07/08/government.hacking/index.html
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,530781,00.html?test=latestnews

there are over three thousand sites I pulled those out in like 5 minutes.

I had another article called hacked-hard check it out in the forums.
my slow 1mb down 300kb up connection was getting swamped so now I am getting soho account dual 15mb down and 3mb up.

Referring to the IT job market. I believe that people with those skill sets will be the top money makers in the IT field.

And since I can rant here all I want Tongue

Brett Hoff
danc
Old Hand

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 07:41:31 pm »

Yes.  They are all about the holiday cyber attacks here in the US, and some in South Korea.  I guess what threw me off was that none of them were talking about North Korea selling any weapons to the highest bidder, which is what your original quote said... 

my slow 1mb down 300kb up connection was getting swamped so now I am getting soho account dual 15mb down and 3mb up.

I see.  Well, that's a little more understandable than your previous statement of "getting 2 15/3 connections to the house...".  As an electrician, you can see how that might be confused with electrical power cables (gauge/conductor description).

Referring to the IT job market. I believe that people with those skill sets will be the top money makers in the IT field.

Ahhh, now I see.  I guess what confused me here was the difference between "it field" and "IT field".  Pesky capitalization and run-on sentence issue was all.

Thanks for the clarifications.

bhoff
Old Hand

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 09:11:07 pm »

Your Welcome,

And several of our networks in this country are suffering major ddos attacks as we speak. They are talking about it a lot in the sans forums.

And it is a well known fact that that north Korea and China are both state sponsored hackers. And again it is a known fact that they have been mapping our networks
for years to find our weaknesses of which we have many. Hopefully the new cyber czar appointed by Obama will have some solutions.

Brett Hoff
danc
Old Hand

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2009, 09:13:52 am »

Your Welcome,

What about my Welcome?  Finish your sentence!  I'm not sure what my Welcome would have to do with any of this, anyway!

And several of our networks in this country are suffering major ddos attacks as we speak. They are talking about it a lot in the sans forums.

This is an everyday, ongoing thing as far as I ever knew.  Nothing new about this, is there?  What are the sans forums?

And it is a well known fact that that north Korea and China are both state sponsored hackers. And again it is a known fact that they have been mapping our networks for years to find our weaknesses of which we have many.

My guess is that we (the USA) are also "state sponsored hackers".  You don't think there are dudes in the government basements doing "black hat" stuff?  It would only make sense that we would, if for no other reason than to learn how to combat the "bad guys" when they do it...

Hopefully the new cyber czar appointed by Obama will have some solutions.

Solutions to what?  Stopping the Asians from trying to hack into our networks?  I don't think anyone could possibly make them stop trying.  Keeping them from getting in is what matters, and I think we're doing a decent job of that already.  Not real sure what this "cyber czar" is expected to accomplish.  In fact, I can't find anything on the internet that even names who he/she is...  Don't think we even have one, yet.

<shrug>

Ed
Experienced

Approval: 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 11:48:23 am »

Anyone need a couple pair of boxing gloves? I hope we don't get started at this sort of stuff again. Thanks for the update Brett, you know way more than me about this sort of stuff. I have just to more words to say. Getrid Ofwindows. Ed
sandspur
Experienced

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2009, 07:11:43 am »

Apparently Symantec is leaning towards a "best defense is a good offense" strategy.  Going after hackers:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_37/b4146030006587.htm

sandspur
living and dying in runlevel three
bhoff
Old Hand

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 08:37:46 pm »

Wow Looks like I was going into the right direction.
With warfare moving into the digital age at an alarming rate. There is now policy being adopted to start attacking
targets that threaten national security. Now a days that could cover anything. Everyone has been watching the stuxnet worm.
But I guarantee you this has not been the only one nor the last.
I now have 500 firewalls across the country and on every major ISP. I am getting logs from all of these and one
thing I can say for a fact! that we are constantly being probed and tested to see where the weak links are to hit in an attack.
I see this in my logs and the great thing about cyber warfare is that you can probe all day and generally not break the law to the
extent that you will be prosecuted. If I was in Iran now taking pictures and gathering target info I would be shot!

Brett Hoff
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: